Weekly Guided Trimontium Walks (dogs are welcome) to the site of the fort at Newstead.
These walks vary in days, times and routes, depending on the time of year.
Please see below for details.
5th April to 25th October
1.30pm from the Museum/Heritage Centre
(return to Melrose by 17.30)
These walks cover Mediaeval Melrose (the Square, Abbey Street, the South side of the ruined but impressive Melrose Abbey, the pig with the bagpipes, the heart of Robert the Bruce); Priorwood (the home of James Curle – excavated Newstead 1905-10, 450-page report published 1911); the Melrose-Newstead path with views over the Vale of Melrose; Newstead stonemasons’ village, with distinctive stonework; the circuit of the Roman site, the ‘high spot’ being the Leaderfoot (former) Railway Viaduct; tea in Newstead Village Hall; and return to Melrose by 5.30pm via the Newstead-Melrose path (as before) or the Monks’ Battery Wall, along the riverside.
July and August only
1.30pm from the Museum/Heritage Centre.
Route as above.
Easter to October
A first-Monday-in-the-month guided Walk
1.30pm – 3.30pm
From the Tearoom
Takes place at Old Melrose, (the secluded peninsula jutting into the Tweed below the Scott’s View cliffs), a ‘special place’ known to the indigenous peoples and the Romans and housing a Celtic ‘Abbey’ (monks’ cells) from 7th to 9th century AD (the predecessor of Melrose Abbey), and thereafter, as the place where St Cuthbert began the monastic life, a centre of pilgrimage. Access is obtained by a single track road off the A68, 200 yards South of the large roundabout at the East end of the Melrose bypass (A72/B6091).
The dates in 2018 are 2nd April, 7th May, 4th June, 2nd July, 6th August, 3rd September, 1st October.
£2 adults (children free) – Which goes towards financing future Old Melrose excavations.